Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Words of Wisdom & a New Challenge

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." 
ARISTOTLE 
(I think this quote can be applied to all aspects of our lives.)

People have suggested starting a blog to share your training experience, but I rather not talk about myself in every post.  However, I do think it is a good idea to share your goals with others, so that they can hold you accountable and keep pushing you.  So I am going to share my next goal/big challenge.  In September 2009, my sister, her husband and I are going to participate in an international triathlon (also known as Olympic distance).  It is a 1500m swim, 40K bike, and 10K run.  Now, I have participated in 6 sprint triathlons, but this is double the distance.  I will need to start training even harder than I have been, but I am on a mission to succeed.
I am getting over a pinched nerve in my foot, and not being able to run for a month.  Next week I should be able to start running and then participate in my favorite 10k, the Bolder Boulder, the following week.  With a foot injury people have to take an easy when starting to run again, so that they do not agitate the injury or worse, re injure and be out for even longer.  So even though I wanted to knock 5 minutes off my time from last year's BB, I am just going to do what I can, listen to my body and finish the race.  Wish me luck and please help encourage me and offer any words of wisdom as a prepare for this new challenge.  Also encourage those around you to take on a new challenge.
I believe races are a good idea for everyone, because it is a concrete goal you have to work toward.  Being able to finish a 5K is a good one to start with.  And then proceed from there, either getting better times in a shorter race, or moving on to longer races.  Either way it is something to work toward.  Also, races give you a sense of accomplishment you may not feel from working out on your own.  That accomplishment will hopefully spur into full on confidence and will to do more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment